Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, September 12, 2011

Eh not too shabby!

Saturday Carl and I ran in our first 5K. I was VERY nervous going into it!! This running thing is pretty new to me. When Carl and I joined Snap Fitness in January 2009 I could only run about 2-3 minutes before getting completely winded. I remember the first time I ever ran 1 mile it was the biggest accomplishment for me. We were members there for about 9 months and in that time I got to where I was able to run 2 miles without walking. Fast forward 2 years. I started the couch to 5K running program just 7 weeks ago. I had to start slow because it had been more than two years since I had last ran. So sad...so true! Now I am can run 3.2 miles and not feel like I am going to die afterwards!

Carl and I pre-race.
Carl ran with a chip. Basically it keeps track of time while running. This picture was taken by a local newspaper and was on their website. :)

Jody was the mastermind behind the whole thing. It all started with a text from her asking if I wanted to run a 5K with her. From there I decided this is something I want to do and to stick with it.
Carl finished in at 24:40 and I was just over 33. There was no big clock at the end to know my exact time just my watch/heart rate monitor. Both he and I feel that if it weren't for this HUGE hill we both would have had faster times. We are use to running on a pretty flat surface so this hill ended up being a beast for both of us! I was still happy that I completed it and ran the whole way.
We are now looking into running one more 5K and then beginning to train for a 10K.

3 comments:

Audrey J. said...

Yay!!!! I love it!!! Great times, both of you! :) I am so happy for you. And how do you look so cute after that run?!!? Haha.

Congratulations, Shonda and Carl!

theglenns556 said...

Proud of you both! I'm so intrigued by running. I started this year then hurt both knees and ended up paying $2800 for a bone scan! ugh! So, I guess I'll just have to cheer you on!

Unknown said...

Yay! I love races. I ran the Austin half last Feb. it was scary but so much fun! Keep it up! That is a good time for your first 5k!